Monday, March 14, 2011

WAY too close for comfort!

As many of you have probably already heard...we had quite an eventful evening Monday night. A little after 9:00 pm I was doing puzzles with Jackson before bed when we heard a bunch of sirens getting closer and closer. Living next to the Boulders...it's not uncommon to hear sirens daily. Between the drugs and fights and such, there is usually an incident or two a day over there... BUT, this time was different. Fire trucks and ambulances just kept on coming. TONS of them. When I looked out the window, they were right on the other side of the fence in our backyard. I rushed outside and was met with a wall of flames coming from the Boulder's complex next to us.

NO JOKE..these flames were 20 feet off the roof into the trees. All of my neighbors were outside. We stood there watching as the firefighters ran around the building yelling to get people out and shattering windows. I have never been that close to a house fire before. You could feel the heat. Watching all the flames and ash fly up into the trees, I kind of started to wonder if I needed to get ready to evacuate. If those huge trees caught on fire and came crashing down, our place would be next. I called Matt, who was on campus working on a group project, and he came rushing home. Thankfully the firefighters got the fire under control fairly quickly. Our backyard is still taped up with caution tape, and we can still hear the big trucks outside. Their huge light is shining right into our windows. I won't lie...I'm a little nervous to sleep tonight. There is some footage on the news about the fire...but not a lot of video of what it looked like at first. I was able to video a little...but was mostly just in shock with the huge flames. This video link is a pretty good depiction of what I was met with when I walked out of my front door. Our house is right on the other side, behind this burning building. I'm definitely "counting my many blessings" tonight! It was just TOO close...

Slight warning, I haven't listened to any audio on this clip...so not sure what it contains since it's a youtube video...

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciMCn0s3eg8

2 comments:

Erika said...

Oh my heck! I did just see the news report on this. I'm glad you guys are safe and it wasn't your building.

Jen said...

Thanks!!! Me too!!! :)