Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday Shenanigans

Well...this is one of the first years I didn't get up and go out to hit all the Black Friday shopping deals. Since Matt had to work, I decided that it would be better to keep little Jackson out of the cold and catch a few extra hours of much needed sleep. Although I didn't hit the sales, today has brought back a lot of funny memories from previous years of Black Friday shopping. Here are some shenanigans I remember...

1. "Freebies"- It was my very first time shopping on Black Friday. My older sister Kirsten decided it would be fun to go--but not to buy anything. We were strictly observers of the chaos. We decided that the best place to see drama and fighting would be somewhere where freebies were being given out. There was a Shopko by our house giving out free ornaments, so we thought, "what the heck, why not?!". We left at 3 am. I have never seen so many women (yes, sadly the majority of the crazies were women) SHOVING themselves through the front doors when the store opened to grab an ornament. The automatic doors were completely crammed with coats, mad faces, and fists. It was pretty great...and all for a free ornament of Yukon Cornelius (lol). Here is what it looks like--what a trophy!

2. "Cart Dam"- This memory was witnessed at Shopko as well. Two women (yes, women...again...dang it) blocking the toy aisles, aisle by aisle, one at a time, with their carts RAIDING the shelves. They didn't let anyone through. Anyone attempting to pass would be rammed with a cart. Their carts were packed.

3. "Divide and Conquer"- This has been seen MANY places, but always makes me laugh. Families on walkie talkies...tag teamin' it. HA HA HA. Love it.

4. "Line Police"- Of course, you always have those people "patrolling" the line before the doors open--watching and accusing everyone of butting them in line. It always amazes me how furious people can become during such a "giving" season. Lol.

5. "Hurdling"- This incident took place at RC Willey. This time all the siblings wanted to witness that craziness. Our motives were a little more involved this time, because we actually wanted some of the doorbuster items. In particular, Jason wanted a portable DVD player. As soon as the doors opened and we were shoved through the entrance, Jason started bookin' it. He ran and HURDLED one of their showroom couches!!!! Picture that--a 6'7" guy hurdling a couch. He lost a shoe in the process. The employees went nuts...I'm pretty sure if the crowds wouldn't have been so atrocious, we would have been kicked out. Needless to say, he got the DVD player.

I guess over the years I have become one of those crazies I used to go observe...ha ha. :)

2 comments:

John said...

So, the best thing about this post is that we're watching Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer right now and are therefore intimately acquainted with Yukon Cornelius.

Hurdling couches is fun, by the way. :-)

lovinlife said...

Haha, that's so funny! Who knew that Black Friday had it's own lingo. :)

Remember waiting out for Harry Potter? I still remember the security guard getting mad when you started running into the store. hahaha

We still need to come see you guys and the baby. Lets figure out a good time!