Thursday, September 18, 2008

September 19, 2006


I married the most amazing man in the whole world :) I know it sounds cliche, but you have no idea how absolutely wonderful Matt is! Tomorrow marks the 2 year anniversary of our engagement...and it's only fair that I take a second to write out the engagement story (mostly for my memory's sake). So, here goes...

On September 19, 2006 I began my brand new job as a bookseller at Deseret Book. I had just moved back to Provo for the new semester, and Matt was living in Kaysville going to Weber. We officially "hooked up" March 19, 2006 and wanted to celebrate our 6 months together after I got off work. Unfortunately, I was training at my new job and didn't get off until 10:00 pm. When I got home to the condo, Matt was waiting outside for me. I was kind of disappointed that he didn't have flowers or something sweet to celebrate our 6 months, but I kind of blew it off. I was so excited to see him, long distance relationships are the WORST! He was wearing a black jacket, which I thought was kind of odd since he is NEVER cold. We had only looked at rings a month earlier, so...I was a little suspicious. I teased him that he had a ring in his pocket and checked them just to see. No ring though. Since Matt had to travel all the way back to Kaysville that night, we decided to do something low-key and quick. We had been up Provo Canyon earlier that month on Labor Day to see all the leaves and came across a gorgeous waterfall called Bridal Veil Falls. We decided it would be fun to go see it in the moonlight- conveniently, it was a full moon ;) he he he. Since I had just gotten off work though, I was starving- ha ha ha- so I told him I was going to change out of my work clothes and grab an apple. I was kind of shocked by his response...he was kind of pushy! He said, "No, let's just go! It's a full moon and I really want to see the falls before it gets too dark." I was a little confused as to why we had to hurry so fast (little did I know my family was awaiting the exciting phone call), but...off we went.

So...we pulled up to the falls and we were standing outside listening to the water and enjoying the beautiful night (all to ourselves) when Matt handed me his car keys and said, "You're probably cold (which I was)...I have some blankets in my trunk, you can grab one ." Ok...for those who do not know me...I am terrified of the dark, and of seeing deer in the dark!!! I was not about to go walk back to his car in the dark to get a blanket. Plus, in the dark I didn't even know which key was the right one. So, I made him go with me. We got to the car and I gave him the keys back and told him he could just get the blanket out. But, he insisted that I did it. I kind of started to suspect that something was in his trunk since he was making such a big deal about it. So, I opened the trunk and inside was a GORGEOUS boquet of beautiful roses with a gift certificate to my favorite restaurant in Salt Lake City. I was so glad that he remembered to do something for our 6 months! I turned around and gave him a hug. Honestly, I didn't really expect anything else to happen-- but to my surprise, he reached into his pocket (it WAS in his pocket after all! He had conveniently put it in his jacket pocket and taken off his jacket when he met up with me) and pulled out a black velvet box with a sparkling ring and got on one knee. Adorable! 7 1/2 months later we were married! Apparently he had bought the ring the same day we went looking. His proposal caught me completely off-guard! We had talked about getting married in the Spring, and not getting engaged until December or January--yeah...didn't happen. Oh well, he's the best and I love him! I wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

3 comments:

loveourboys said...

Matt is a sweetie! When he was little he would let me dress him up like a girl, he knew I always wanted a little sister :)Seriously, I didn't know the whole engagement story-I'm so glad to have Jenica as part of the fam! luv ya-Stace

Erika said...

I remember that like it was yesterday! Still so proud that it was on my b-day!

Em said...

how come i never knew you had a blog? how fun to read your story. love ya!